So, if you’re looking for the criteria for admission into this university, we recommend you read this article with keen attention as all that you need to know about the school admission process have been outlined in course of this article.
So, which ever category you wish to apply for, everything has been prepared in this post for you and your friends. Before we shall proceed in details, here is a brief history of the university,
The National Open University of Nigeria is an ODL institution renowned for providing functional, flexible, accessible, cost-effective education adequate for flourishing in the 21st century and beyond. Right from our first inception in July 1983, our mandate has remained to deliver university education at the doorstep of every interested Nigerian.
The founding president, Alhaji Shehu Shagari, the first executive president of Nigeria, envisioned a university with the capacity to admit and meet the education and skill needs of citizens no matter their status and circumstances.
This vision was predicated on the realization that a sustainable democracy, functional economy, happy and prosperous people, all depend on knowledgeable citizens. Meeting the educational needs of such citizens in a highly populous country like’ Nigeria was beyond the capacity of Nigeria’s conventional higher institutions.
Despite its suspension in 1984 by the Federal Military Government that succeded Alhaji Shehu Shagari, the resuscitation of NOUN in 2002 by the civilian regime of Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, went side by side with the awakening of the vision that informed the initial establishment of the university.
As a faithful trustee of the Nigerian people, NOUN leverages on Information and Computer Technologies to deliver an education tailored towards the globalised economy. The University offers exceptional academic programmes that meet the specific needs of all sectors of the global economy, in the Arts; Health; Law; Physical, Social, Agricultural and Management Sciences.
As an ODL institution, we are an equal opportunity university determined to meet the following objectives that necessitated the establishment of open and distance education in Nigeria:
a. Provision of Education for All and promotion of lifelong learning
b. Filling the gap created by the closure of outreaches/satellite campuses
c. Cost effectiveness
d. Improved economies of scale
e. Flexibility of delivery system
f. Maximum utilisation of academic personnel
g. On the job teacher training
h. Poverty eradication, vocational and lifelong education
i. Provision of non-formal education
j. Reaching the unreached
k. Propagation of national orientation
List of Faculties in NOUN
1. Centre For Entrepreneurship And General Studies (CE&GS)
2. Faculty of Agricultural Sciences
3. Faculty of Arts
4. Faculty of Education
5. Faculty of Health Sciences
6. Faculty of Law
7. Faculty of Management Sciences
8. Faculty of Science
9. Faculty of Social Sciences
Alright, having taken the time to outlined all of the above, listed below are the admission reqirements for the various classess of students in the National Open University of Nigeria.
1. An applicant for undergraduate admission into NOUN is normally expected to have a minimum of 5 o-level credits including English Language and Mathematics.
2. Additional requirements might apply for some programmes and these can be viewed after selecting the Programme and entry level at the Faculty’s admission page.
3. To apply for a programme, select the Faculty, choose the programme and entry level so that the View Requirement button is enabled. Clicking this button will reveal the corresponding entry requirement and enable the Apply button on the pre-payment application page.
4. Fill in all the remaining details on the page before submitting.
5. On successful submission of the pre-payment form, you are redirected to Remita to obtain an RRR invoice which should be used to effect payment for the application form.
6. An applicant who pays online using a payment card will automatically obtain the online form which must be filled before submission.
7. Applicants who pay through a bank branch must click on Continue after payment… and enter their Unique ID and RRR. They are also given the opportunity to change the Programme applied for.
8. Applicants who had paid using an RRR generated last semester or earlier must restart the application process upto the point when they are re-directed to remita. They should now use the newly generated UniqueID with the old RRR used for payment when they click Proceed after payment.
9. In all cases a successful payment will lead to the generation of an online application form which should be filled before submission online.
10. The admission process is automated and the outcome is virtually instantaneous!
11. Please print your form and admission letter and bring them to your chosen Study Centre for verification by an Admin Officer.
1. An applicant for postgraduate admission into NOUN is normally expected to have a minimum of a first degree ( second class lower) for masters or HND for PGD in a related field in addition to 5 O-Level credits including English Language and Mathematics. Additional requirements might apply for some programmes and these can be viewed after selecting the Programme and entry level at the Faculty’s admission page.
2. To apply for a programme, select the Faculty, choose the programme so that the View Requirement button is enabled. Clicking this button will reveal the corresponding entry requirement and enable the Apply button on the pre-payment application page.
3. Fill in all the remaining details on the page before submitting.
4. On successful submission of the pre-payment form, you are redirected to Remita to obtain an RRR invoice which should be used to effect payment for the application form.
5. An applicant who pays online using a payment card will automatically obtain the online form which must be filled before submission.
6. Applicants who pay through a bank branch must click on Continue after payment… and enter their Unique ID and RRR. They are also given the opportunity to change the Programme applied for.
7. Applicants who had paid using an RRR generated last semester or earlier must restart the application process upto the point when they are re-directed to remita. They should now use the newly generated UniqueID with the old RRR used for payment when they click Proceed after payment.
8. In all cases a successful payment will lead to the generation of an online application form which should be filled before submission online.
9. The admission process is automated and the outcome is virtually instantaneous!
10. Please print your form and admission letter and bring them to your chosen Study Centre for verification by an Admin Officer.
100 Level Students
Generally, the requirements for getting admission into the National Open University of Nigeria include five (5) credits in the SSCE/GCE O’Level/NECO/NABTEB or equivalents at not more than two (2) sittings obtained in subjects relevant to the proposed field(s) of study.
The five (5) credits include Credits in Mathematics, English and 3 other relevant subjects. More details can be found under programmes.
200 Level Students
1. National Diploma at Upper Credit from recognized institutions.
2. National Certificate in Education (NCE) in subject(s) relevant to the proposed programme of study with a minimum of one merit and two passes.
3. International Baccalaureates, Interim Joint Matriculation Board (IJMB) with at least two ‘A’ Level papers in relevant subjects and pre-requisite number of ‘O’ Level credit passes.
1. To qualify for admission into any of the postgraduate programmes of the University, a candidate must meet, among others, all matriculation requirements of at least five (5) credit passes including English Language and Mathematics. Some programmes accept at least a pass in Mathematics.
2. For Postgraduate Diploma Programmes, Candidates must possess either a minimum of pass Bachelors Degree in any discipline from a University recognised by the Senate of the NOUN OR a Higher National Diploma with a minimum of Lower Credit.
For the Postgraduate Diploma in Legislative Drafting, the candidate must have been called to the Bar. Also for admission into the school of Business and Human Resource Management Postgraduate Diploma programmes, candidates with professional qualifications such as ACA, ACIS, ACIB, ACII, ACIA, etc may be considered on individual merit.
3. For Master degree programmes, candidates must possess either a Bachelors Degree with a minimum of second class lower in the relevant field of study from a University recongnised by the Senate of the NOUN.
However, holders of lower classification and with a minimum of 2 years of relevant post-qualification experience may be considered on individual merit OR a Postgraduate Diploma in related field of study from a recongnised University OR A Higher National Diploma with a minimum of Upper Credit in the relevant field of study. Candidate with membership certificate of relevant professional bodies may apply for the Master of Business (MBA) programme.
4. For the Doctor of Philosophy Degree prorammes, candidates must possess a masters degree in relevant field of study from a University recongised by the Senate of the NOUN with a minimum score average of not less than 60% or a cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 3.5 on a 5-point scale.
How to Apply for Admission in NOUN
Wish to apply for admission in the National Open University of Nigeria, NOUN? If yes, follow these steps to do so;
1. Visit the site www.nouonline.net
2. On the Home Page, go to the Menu Bar, Click on Apply for Admission
3. Select either Undergraduate Programme or Postgraduate Programme. Other programme is not available at the moment
4. Goto “Choose Faculty” (note it can be found at the left hand side of the screen)
5. Select Faculty
6. Fill displayed form
7. Click below to view admission criteria
8. Click “Apply” to proceed.
9. Take note of the UNIQUE ID displayed
10. Click ‘Continue’ button
11. Select Bank Branch as payment type
12. Click “Pay”
13. Copy and take your RRR number to any bank branch for payment.
1. Perform step 1 to 3
2. Goto “Continue After Payment”
3. Input Unique ID, RRR number and Programme
4. Click “Proceed”
5. Fill Form. Note: all fields marked with red star are compulsory.
After filling form
1. Click “Submit”
2. Print Admission Letter
3. Visit the nearest study centre for screening
How to check your payments @www.nouonline.net
To check your payment, proceed as follows:
1. Clik Check RRR
2. Enter your RRR
3. Select Payment Category
For wallet payment, after checking the RRR as described above, login and click “Check Wallet Payments” under “Manage Wallet”. Only then is your Wallet credited!
PhD Programmes IN NOUN
1. PhD Christian Theology
2. PhD Educational Administration
3. PhD Educational Technology
4. PhD Science Education
5. PhD Educational Planning
6. PhD Mathematics Education
7. PhD Business Administration
8. PhD Public Administration
NOUN General Requirements for PhD admission
Candidates must possess a good Master’s degree in a relevant discipline from the National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN) or any university recognised by the Senate of NOUN, with a CGPA not below 3.50 on a 5.00 scale. Some Departments may seek higher CGPA, while all Ph.D. candidates will be subjected to oral/written interviews.
PhD Admission Application Procedure
1. Fill pre-payment form on this page.
2. Click Apply after viewing application requirement.
3. When re-directed to Remita print out the RRR payment teller.
4. Effect payment of non-refundable application fee using the RRR.
5. Check payment status here.
6. After payment click here to continue.
7. Enter your Unique ID and RRR to obtain online form.
8. Fill the form, print it out and attach your CV, copies of your certificates, research proposal and two academic reference letters with a cover letter and send to the Secretary, School of Postgraduate Studies, National Open University of Nigeria, 14-16, Ahmadu Bello Way, Victoria Island, Lagos.