How to Remove or Delete Facebook Notifications
You can receive email or text notifications from Facebook for practically all website interactions. You can receive notifications for new messages, mentions in posts, being tagged in pictures, and comments left on your wall, among other things. When you sign into Facebook, these interactions will also be visible. You can opt out by changing your notification settings if you want to stop receiving a certain type of notice. You can immediately delete pop-up notifications that appear while you’re logged in.
How to remove notifications on Facebook
- “Mark all as read” all notifications: Like with an email client, you can mark all notifications as read if they keep appearing but you don’t want to remove them because you want them gone. Sadly, the Facebook app for Android and iOS does not allow for this. Use Chrome or another browser on your smartphone, or even better, the Desktop site mode on your PC, for this.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Open Chrome (any browser will do) and navigate to Facebook. On your Android, open the browser and select Desktop site from the 3-dots menu and then navigate to Facebook. On your iPhone, use Safari to navigate to Facebook and just refuse to open it with the app (tap Cancel). This will take you to the Facebook web client.
- Sign in with your credentials.
- Tap or click Notifications at the top right corner (bell icon).
- Tap or click on the vertical 3-dots menu and select Mark all as read.
2. Delete Facebook notifications: On the other hand, if you just want notifications completely gone, you can do that as well. This is available on all platforms. Everything you need to do is expand the notifications, tap/click on the 3-dots menu next to it, and then select Remove this notification.
Unfortunately, there is no option to batch erase notifications, thus you will have to do it one at a time. Once more, the following are detailed instructions on how to remove Facebook notifications from your computer or smartphone:
- Open Facebook.
- Select Notifications (the bell icon at the top or the bottom).
- Tap and hold on to the notification you want to delete until the contextual menu appears. You can also just go with the vertical 3-dots with the same result.
- Tap or click Remove this notification.
- You’ll have a short window to undo the deletion if you remove something by mistake.
You can limit or totally mute future notifications by using the settings for this specific notification found in the same menu.
Hopefully, Facebook will soon offer a quicker and better option to remove notifications. This is the only method available right now. Thank you for reading, and please let us know what you think by leaving a comment.