However, this update forces you to select Messenger as your default SMS app. It also includes every single SMS thread in the Facebook chat list in chronological order, which makes the conversation list confusing and difficult to use.
In addition to that, you may accidentally send messages that cost real money if you keep all types of conversations in one place. If these problems are plaguing your Messenger experience, we’ll show you how to disable the SMS feature in Facebook Messenger here.
How to Disable the SMS Feature in Facebook Messenger
If you want to disable the SMS feature in Facebook Messenger, do the following;
1. From your device, go to the app drawer, and tap the Messenger app. See a screen-shop below for further clarification.
2. Next, in the page that displays, navigate to the last tab with the user icon and tap it.
3. From the drop-down menu, tap on the SMS option. This option is located below the notifications and sounds option. See a screen-shot below.
4. If you’ve performed the above step correctly, an SMS page shall display showing a list of SMS options or command.
From the drop-down menu, turn off the Default SMS app feature. Note that once you turn this option off, the two other options will be disabled as well.
5. A new dialogue box shall display after you might have successfully carried out the above step. The dialogue box contains an option asking you to choose another default SMS app in the system settings to stop sending SMS in Messenger. To continue, tap the Go to Settings.
6. Choose one of the available apps as your default SMS app. Note that if you switch to the Facebook Messenger app by accident and you have never changed the default SMS app before, you can choose the Messages app in the list. Bear in mind that this app is for Samsung devices. However, if you do not have a Samsung phone, you can choose the SMS app that came with the phone when you purchased it.
That is it!
In conlusion, once the Default SMS app feature is turned off, every SMS conversation will be removed from the Messenger app. If Messenger still shows SMS conversations, close the app completely, and load it again.
If you ever change your mind and want to use Messenger to send SMS, simply open the app, repeat the steps above, and turn on the Default SMS app option.