How to Hide Your Friends List on Facebook
Friend-making is the main focus of Facebook. When MySpace was still around, people used to flaunt their pals on their pages almost like awards. Today, though, things are a little bit different. Along with the escalating privacy issues, there is also the age-old issue of keeping your business to yourself.
Facebook by default makes your full list of friends public, so how can you limit access to it to certain people? The solution is really fairly easy. Here are some helpful friends privacy ideas and instructions on how to make your Facebook friends list private.
How to Make Your Friends List on Facebook Private
It takes some searching to set up Facebook such that only certain people can view your “Friends” list. You’ll delve further into your privacy settings. Both the Facebook browser extension and the mobile or tablet app enable you manage who can view your friends list. The browser alternative will be discussed first.
How to Make Friends List on Web Browser Private
You must use a browser on a computer to hide your “Friends” list; this rule applies to Windows, macOS, Linux, and Chromebooks. Any web browser is OK. This is the procedure.
- Open a web browser and log in to your Facebook account.
- Click on your profile icon in the top-right section of the page.
- Select Settings & Privacy from the options. Then, click on Settings.
- Click on Privacy.
- Click on Check a few important settings.
- Click on Who can see what you share.
- Click Continue to move forward to the Privacy Checkup page.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and select the dropdown menu to the right of Who can see your friends list on your profile? Then, click Only me.
- If you want to hide the accounts you’re following, change the dropdown next to Who can see People, pages, and lists you follow? to Only me.
Once you’ve done so, nobody will be able to see your list of pals. Additionally, you have the ability to customize whether you want some or all of your friends to be able to see your friend list.
How to Make Friends List on Mobile App Private
Use the steps below while using the Facebook app on your phone or tablet to filter the privacy settings for other people in your “Friends” list.
- Launch the “Facebook” app and tap the “hamburger icon” (Menu). iOS users will find the menu in the lower left corner and Android users will see it in the upper right corner.
- Tap on the Settings icon at the top of the menu.
- Tap Privacy Checkup.
- Choose How can see what you share.
- Tap Continue to view the privacy checkup page.
- Scroll down to the Who can see your friends list on your profile option and select Only me.