Its recent updates are pushing it more towards being a better replica of Snapchat but it remains so that even if you don’t have a Facebook account, you can still use it.
When you send a message to a contact over Facebook Messenger, it shows you whether or not said person is active.
If said person is inactive, it shows you how long ago they were active. For everyone who has you added as a contact in Facebook Messenger, the very same information about you is available to them. If you find it too intrusive, you can turn it off. Here’s how.
To hide your active status on Facebook, do the following;
1. Open the Facebook Messenger app on your phone and navigate to the People tab.
The People tab has two tabs of its own; All and Active. The All tab shows you message requests, lets you access your scan code, find contacts from your phone, and invite people to Messenger. Below these four options, you can see a list of all your contacts. The ones that have a green dot next to their name are currently active on Messenger.
The Active tab is where you can view a list of contacts that are currently active and it’s where you can turn your own ‘Active’ indicator off.
2. Simply turn the switch next to your name Off and your contacts will not know when or how long ago you were active. You will likewise not be able to see which contacts are currently active.
This setting doesn’t extend to your desktop. If you open Messenger in your web browser, your contacts will see your Active status and you will, likewise, be able to see theirs.
How to disable your active status on the web
To disable your Active status on the web, do the following;
1. Visit Messenger
2. Click the cog wheel button at the top left.
3. Select ‘Active Contacts’ from the menu.
4. The ‘Active Now’ menu that opens has a switch to disable your Active status.
5. Click the green button to disable it. Once disabled, the Active status for your contacts will no longer be visible to you.
Hide Your Active Status On Facebook Messenger