Preventing phone theft is a difficult and nearly impossible task, it is possible to track an iPhone and recover a lost device. In this article, we will be answering the very question; “how to track an iPhone,” but before then let’s look at what to do when you lose your iPhone.
What to do when you lose your iPhone
If you lose your iPhone, there are a few steps you should take to try and recover it:
- Use the “Find My” app: If your phone is turned on and connected to a network, you can use the “Find My” app to locate it on a map. This app is built-in to all iPhones and can be accessed from another iOS device or iCloud.com.
- Contact your cellular provider: Some cellular providers offer a way to track a phone’s location through their website or mobile app. Contact your provider to see if this service is available.
- Report the loss to the police: If you believe your phone has been stolen, report the loss to the police. They may be able to track the phone’s location if it is connected to a network.
- Put your phone in Lost Mode: If you can’t locate your phone, you can use the “Find My” app to put your phone in Lost Mode. This will lock your phone and display a message on the lock screen asking whoever finds it to contact you.
- Erase your phone’s data: If you’re unable to recover your phone, you can use the “Find My” app to remotely erase all the data on it to protect your personal information.
- Buy a new iPhone: If your phone can’t be found, you may need to buy a new one and replace the simcard.
It’s also important to note that it’s a good idea to have a backup of your iPhone’s data, so that you can restore it to a new device if needed.
How to Track your iPhone for Free
There are several ways to track your iPhone for free:
- Use “Find My Friends” app: This is a different app from the above but it allows you to share your location with friends and family. You can also see the location of your friends and family if they have shared their location with you.
- Contact your cellular provider: Some cellular providers offer a way to track a phone’s location through their website or mobile app.
- Use iCloud: If you have iCloud set up on your device, you can also track its location by logging into iCloud.com and clicking on “Find My.”
- Use a third-party app: There are also a number of third-party apps available that can help you track your iPhone, such as “Find My iPhone” and “Prey Anti Theft”. However, these apps are not free, you have to pay a subscription fee for use.
- Use another iOS device: If you have another iOS device, such as an iPad or another iPhone, you can use the “Find My” app on that device to track the location of your missing iPhone.
- Use a web browser: You can also track your iPhone’s location by visiting iCloud.com on a web browser and signing in with your Apple ID.
- Call your phone: If your phone is nearby, you can also try calling it to see if it rings and you can locate it that way.
It’s important to note that for these methods to work, your device needs to be turned on and connected to the internet. Also, it’s better to enable ‘Find My’ feature on your iPhone in advance, so that it can be tracked if it gets lost.
Read Also: How to Factory Reset iPhone
How Can I Recover my iCloud Details?
If you’ve lost your iPhone and can’t remember your iCloud account details, there are a few steps you can take to try and recover them:
- Check for recent email: Check your email inbox and spam folder for any recent emails from Apple that may contain your iCloud account information.
- Use the “Forgot Apple ID” feature: You can visit the Apple ID website and click on the “Forgot Apple ID or Password” link. Enter your email address and follow the prompts to reset your password.
- Use a recovery email: If you set up a recovery email address when you created your iCloud account, you can use it to reset your password.
- Contact Apple support: If you’re unable to recover your iCloud account details using the above methods, you can contact Apple support for assistance. They may be able to help you recover your account.
- Check your other devices and apps: If you have other Apple devices or apps such as iTunes, check if you have iCloud account details saved in them.
It’s a good idea to keep a record of your iCloud account details in a safe place, such as a password manager, so that you can access them easily if you ever lose your phone.
Please note that if you’ve previously enabled “Two-factor authentication” on your iCloud account, you may need to provide a trusted phone number or other information to verify your identity.
How to Protect my iCloud Account
There are several ways to protect your iCloud account from unauthorized access:
- Use a strong, unique password: Use a combination of letters, numbers, and special characters to create a strong, unique password for your iCloud account. Avoid using easily guessable information such as your name, birthdate, or address.
- Enable Two-Factor Authentication (2FA): Two-factor authentication adds an extra layer of security to your iCloud account by requiring a verification code in addition to your password to sign in. This code is sent to one of your trusted devices or phone number.
- Keep your software up to date: Keep your iOS, iPadOS, macOS, or watchOS device up to date with the latest software updates. These updates often include security patches that help protect your device and iCloud account from potential vulnerabilities.
- Be cautious of phishing scams: Be wary of unsolicited emails or texts that ask for your iCloud account information. Legitimate Apple emails will never ask for your account information, so if you receive a suspicious message, do not click on any links or enter your account information.
- Use a VPN when connecting to public Wi-Fi: When connecting to public Wi-Fi, use a virtual private network (VPN) to encrypt your internet connection and protect your iCloud account information from potential hackers.
- Keep your contact information up to date: Make sure your contact information is up to date in case you need to recover your account.
- Be aware of what you’re sharing: Be cautious of the information and data you’re storing in iCloud and make sure you only share the information that is necessary.
It’s important to regularly review the devices and apps connected to your iCloud account and remove any that you no longer use or trust. This will help keep your account secure.